Most of the overgrowth in this pic is Miner's lettuce, and it's getting ready to die back because this is the end of it's season. It may look messy, but its a nice salad green and grows here freely. I've been told that it is an indication of fertility. This area gets lots of sun - I'm thinking arugula and radicchio. I'm told if you keep radicchio picked and don't let it form heads, it's perennial. Last time I planted arugula I let some go to seed and harvested it for 3-4 years. I like that in a veggie! Along the near edge, mostly out of sight, some nasturtiums are volunteering again. There is one bright orange blossom at the front edge of the pic. They'll stay. The flowers are nice in salads, and the really young leaves are peppery and good if you shred them. They can be overpowering on their own.
When it's time for winter veggies, I think this is where I'll put kale, mustard greens, maybe some dandelion and broccoli rabe.
This space is about 8 feet deep and 16 feet long. There is a rose that I'll leave for now in the middle, towards the back of the bed. I should transplant it next winter... if I can figure out where to put her!
This overgrown pathway still gets a lot of sun, but the ground hasn't been improved, is mostly clay. If I can manage to kill the fennel here this year, that will be enough. The tall deep green"hedge" at the left side is Italian bay laurel. I have too much of it, but I needed a screen to give the side yard some privacy from the street. It seemed like the right idea at the time. On the right side is some kind of opportunist native that needs to go.
weeds, weeds, weeds. A plethora of mixed weeds, grass, fennel, blackberry, and lots of stuff that everyone but me knows.
There's a lot more, but this is pretty representative. There is a biggish (relative term) full sun area off to the side, but there is a lot of clay and it will take a major effort to irrigate. On top of it, the kids decided to use it to run their bikes on (slopes, they built little jumps etc.) so they've totally compacted it and made a massive project. GRRRRRRR! Soon I need to get over to that side, wack it, and hammer in stakes and yellow tape instructing them to STAY OUT. They're fundamentally good kids, I think there's a chance they'll pay attention. If not, I'll destroy their bikes. (Just kidding! But I will have a word with the parents.) That is at least a full day project that I'm not looking forward to.
Tonight I wacked weeds in the backyard until the battery needed recharging - didn't get a whole lot done. I'm recharging it tonight and hopefully I'll get the rest of the back done if I have a full charge.
I've accomplished big things here before, I can do it again. The trick is to not think of everything that needs to be done, only the piece that's under my nose. If I can get SOMETHING done every evening after work, then this year I'll make a good start of it.
There is a short wall in front with a row of rose bushes. One of the first things I did is plant trailing rosemary at their feet, tumbling over the wall. That's very solidly grown in now, so I've plenty of that herb. I would like to plant some bunching onions and walking onions among the roses. I'm told they will help with lots of rose ailments, and I imagine the blossoms will look nice emerging between them. That's something to do next fall.
This area is under fir trees, and gets mostly shade. Other than weed-wacking it, I don't think I'll pay attention to it this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment